What is 5G Technology?
Do you know what is 5G? How does 5G technology work? How much better is this 5G compared to the 4G Technology? If you want to know about all these things, then you have to read this post.
Phone and our relationship are quite old and equally strong. Where the earlier phones used to be with the wire, then the time of cordless came and now the wireless phone is running. Instead of the basic phones, now people of the generation use Smart Phones. This changing form of the phone is also associated with Technology Evolution, that started from 1G to 4G and is now striving towards 5G. In this way, it can be interesting to know what is upcoming 5G? Which technology used in it and how it can change the Telecom Industry? How can people be blessed with it?
If we look at the last few years, we will know that there is a generation enhancement in the field of Mobile Technology every 10 years. As we started in First Generation (1G) in the 1980s, Second Generation (2G) in 1990s, Third Generation (3G) in 2000s, Fourth Generation (4G) in 2010s, and now Fifth Generation (5G) is the future. We are slowly moving towards more sophisticated and smarter technology. So today I thought why you should give all the information about 5G to people and how it works so that you also have information about this new technology. So let’s start without delay and know what the 5G network is and when will 5G be in India?
5G’s Full Form is Fifth Generation This is a Fifth-generation wireless, or 5G, very latest cellular technology, which has been engineered specifically to enable speed and responsiveness of wireless networks to be easily expanded. In the same 5G, data can be transmitted at a speed of more than 20 Gbps through wireless broadband connections. With this very short latency which offers 1 ms and where real-time feedback is needed, even less. Due to having more bandwidth and advanced antenna technology in 5G, more data can be transmitted through wireless.
Apart from improvements in speed, capacity, and latency, 5G also provides other network management features, the main of that is network slicing, which allows other mobile operators to create multiple virtual networks in a single physical 5G network. With this capability, wireless network connections can be used in any specific uses or business cases and it can also be sold on as-a-service basis.
On the example of a self-driving car, which requires a network slice which provides extremely fast, low-latency connections. This can navigate a vehicle in real-time. At the same time, we can connect a home appliance, through a low-power, slower connection, as there is no need for high performance. Apart from this, we can use secure, data-only connections in the internet of things (IoT).
5G networks and services will be deployed in many stages, in the next few years, which can easily fulfill the need of continuously increasing mobile and Internet-enabled devices. Overall, talk about 5G, we can generate new applications of many varieties. Now, 4G is expanding in India, but telecom operators around the world are preparing to launch the next generation of Mobile Technology 5G. That is why we have started preparing for the 5G.
Features of 5G Technology
Right now we are aware of some special 5G technology features. Let’s know what is the new features in 5G Technology that are not available in the present network technology.
- There is up to 10Gbps data rate in it. With this, network improvement in the rate of 10 to 100x compared to 4G and 4.5G networks.
- Having a 1-millisecond latency rate.
- Contains 1000x bandwidth per unit area.
- We can connect up to 100x number connected devices per unit area (if we compare it with 4G LTE).
- Its availability is 99.999%, apart from this, it offers 100% coverage.
- It helps a lot in saving energy. Which helps in reducing network energy usage by up to 90%.
- Contains High peak bit rate.
- In this, you can use low power IoT devices which can provide you power for about 10 years.
- More data volume is per unit area (i.e. high system spectral efficiency).
- There is more capacity which helps in connecting it with more devices concurrently and instantaneously.
- It consumes low battery.
- This provides better connectivity of any geographic region.
- It can support a large number of devices.
- It involves cost-effective infrastructural development.
- There is more reliability in communication.
How 5G technology works
Wireless networks mainly have cell sites which are divided into sectors which send data through radio waves. It would not be wrong to say that Fourth-generation (4G) Long-Term Evolution (LTE) wireless technology had prepared the foundation of 5G. Where 4G, requires large, high-power cell towers, in the longer distances to radiate signals, on the other hand, many small cell stations are needed to transmit 5G wireless signals to the smallest places such as Light poles or building, can be installed on the roofs. Multiple small cells are used in millimeter-wave spectrum – band of spectrum is always within 300 GHz from 30 GHz and since 5G requires high speeds, which can travel only short distances. these signals can also interference easily with weather and physical obstacles, such as buildings.
If we talk about the wireless technologies of the first generations, then it used the lower-frequency bands of the spectrum. With this millimeter wave challenges, which have greater distance and interference, the wireless industry has thought of using lower-frequency spectrum in 5G networks, so that the network operators can use the spectrum that they already have. One thing we should keep in mind is that the lower-frequency spectrum always covers more distances but it has less speed and capacity compared to the millimeter wave.
What is the status of 5G Deployment?
The main development of 5G is highest in these countries in the world, the United States, Japan, South Korea and China. Here Wireless Network operators are paying more attention to making 5G buildouts. It is believed that Network operators are about to spend around crores of billions of dollars in the 5G contract by 2030. Well-known technology company Technology Business Research Inc., says that it is still unclear how these 5G services will generate a return on their investment. It is expected that new companies and Startups who want to use Evolving Technology of 5G can take care of the revenue of these operators.
Simultaneously, other standards bodies are also working on universal 5G equipment standards. Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) has been approved in the near future for 5G New Radio (NR) standards in December 2017 and by the end of 2018, the 5G mobile core standard which is very important for 5G cellular services is eliminated Expect to pay tax. This 5G radio system is not compatible with 4G radios, but network operators have purchased wireless radios that they want to upgrade. They want to upgrade it by software and not the hardware update as they may need to purchase new equipment in the hardware update.
Where 5G wireless equipment standards have expired, the first 5G-compliant smartphones and other related wireless devices are expected to be available commercially by 2019. The total use of 5G technology is expected to be from 2021. By 2030, 5G services will be used in the full-fledged form and used in virtual reality (VR) content in autonomous vehicle navigation. It can also be monitored in real-time.
Types of 5G wireless services available
Network operators primarily provide two types of 5G services.
The first service is 5G fixed wireless broadband services that deliver internet access, to homes and businesses without any wired connection to their premises. To do this, network operators deploy NRs in small cell sites near buildings, whereby they can beam a signal to the receiving receiver, which is available in any rooftop or windowsill, it becomes amplified within the premises. Fixed brad services are also cheaper for operators as they provide service, because, through this approach, they do not need to lay fiber-optic lines to each residence, but only fiber optics have to be installed to cell sites, and customers Broadband services receive wireless modems that are in their residences or businesses.
The second service is 5G cellular services which allow the user to access operator’s 5G cellular network service. These services will be first rolled out to buy in 2019 when the first 5G-enabled devices will be commercially available. Delivery of the cellular service also depends on the completion of the mobile core standards by 3GPP. It is expected that it will be completed by the end of 2018.
What are the Advanced Features of 5G
If we compare this new 5G technology with earlier radio technologies, then we can see this following advancement like –
- We can find 1 to 10 Gbps of Practically Super Speed.
- Latency will be 1 millisecond (in the end-to-end round trip).
- There is a 1,000x bandwidth per unit area.
- It can easily connect to 10 to 100 devices.
- It offers Worldwide coverage.
- Apart from this, it has a hand in about 90% of energy reduction.
- Battery life is very long in comparison to others.
- With this here, the whole world becomes a wifi zone.
What is the spectrum band of 5G
5G networks run on 3400 MHz, 3500 MHz, and 3600 MHz bands. The 3500 MHz band is considered ideal. Millimeter wave spectrum can play a significant role in 5G. These are called Millimeter Waves because their length is 1 to 10 mm. Millimeters waves work on 30 to 300 GHz frequencies. So far, these waves can be used in satellite networks and radar systems.
If millimeter waves are used in 5G, then credit will be given to Sir Jagdish Chandra Bose. He had shown in 1895 that these waves can be used for communication.
Advantages of 5G?
By the way, 5G’s have many advantages, so I have tried to tell people about them.
- High resolution and bi-directional large bandwidth shaping.
- Through this, all the networks can be brought under the same platform.
- It is very effective and efficient.
- Better Download and Upload Speed.
- Through this technology, supervision tools have been provided to the subscriber, so that they can take quick action.
- This can lead to large-scale broadcasting data (in Gigabit) so that it can support more than 60,000 connections.
- It can be easily managed with previous generations.
- This is technological sound to support heterogeneous services (in which the private network).
- Through this technology, connectivity can be provided uniformly, uninterrupted, and consistently in the entire world.
- In this, you can find parallel multiple services such as you can get information about weather and location.
- You can control your PCs through handsets.
- This makes education very easy because any student can get knowledge from any end of the world.
- Medical treatment can also be easy because a doctor who is patient in any remote location in the world can cure it through this technology.
- This will facilitate monitoring because government organizations and investigating officers can easily monitor any place, thereby there is a possibility of a decline in the crime rate.
- It will be very easy to see space, galaxies, and other planets.
- It will be easy to find any lost man.
- Even the major natural disasters such as tsunami, earthquake etc can be detected already.
Disadvantages of 5G
5G technology is designed in a highly researched and conceptualized manner to eliminate all the radio signal problems and the mobile world’s hardship of mobile world, but in spite of this, there are some disadvantages that we will be discussing further.
- The technology of this 5G is still under process and research is still in progress.
- The speed which is giving the speed to which it is doing is difficult to achieve because it has so far.
- technological support for it, in most parts of the world it is not currently available.
- Many older devices are not compatible with this new 5G technology, which will have to change them, which will prove to be an expensive deal.
- Its infrastructures can cost more in developing.
- There are so many security and privacy-related issues which are still available to solve it so far.
Applications of 5G
Let’s know about some important applications
- It can become a unified global standard for the whole world.
- Through this, Network Availability will be all around, so that more and more people will be able to use this great technology anytime and anywhere.
- Due to this being IPv6 technology, the IP address of the mobile will be provided according to their connected network and geographical position.
- It has the ability to transform the whole world into a real Wi-Fi zone.
- Through its cognitive radio technology, different versions of radio technologies can use the same spectrum efficiently.
- Through this technology people of high altitude can easily get the facility of the radio signal.
Main Challenges for 5G
A major part of any new development is the Challenges. Because of these challenges, technology can become even better. Like all technologies, very big challenges in the 5G. We have seen in the last few years how radio technology has grown rapidly. Starting from 1G to 5G, the journey is only 40 years (1G in the 1980s and 5G which is going to come in 2021). But in this journey, we have observed some common challenges such as infrastructure, research methodology, and the cost reduction.
There are many countries in today’s dock, where even 2G and 3G technologies are used and people still do not even know about 4G in this condition, in such condition, the question that is in everyone’s mind is that of –
How far will this 5G be viable?
Will some developed countries and developing countries also benefit from this technology?
In order to better understand these questions, challenges of 5G have been divided into two headings –
- Technological Challenges
- Common Challenges
- Inter-cell Interference: This is a very big technical issue that needs to be resolved soon. Because there is a great difference in the size of traditional macro cells and concurrent small cells, it can lead to further interference.
- Efficient Medium Access Control – In situations where there is a requirement of dense deployment of access points and user terminals, the user’s throughput will be low, latency will be high, and hotspots will not be competent to provide more throughput with cellular technology. for. Therefore it is necessary to research it properly to optimize this technology.
- Traffic Management – With more human traffic in cellular networks and having more number of machine to Machine (M2M) devices in the same cell, it can cause a serious system challenges, which is called radio access network (RAN) The challenges, which can later cause overload and congestion.
- Multiple services: 5G has to do great work against other radio signal services, such as heterogeneous networks, technologies, and devices operating that work in different geographic regions. Therefore, the challenge is to provide people’s dynamic, universal, user-centric, and data-rich wireless services.
- Infrastructure: Due to lack of infrastructure, researchers have to face inconvenience such as many technical challenges of standardization and reduction in application of 5G services.
- Communication, Navigation, & Sensing: These services depend more on the availability of radio spectrum, through which signals are transmitted. Since 5G technology has strong computational power, large volumes of data which come from different and distinct sources are needed to process them, but this requires a great infrastructure support.
- Security and Privacy: This is a very important challenge that 5G should pay particular attention to protect the personal data of the people. 5G will also have to pay special attention to many other security threats such as trust, privacy, cybersecurity as these threats are continuously increasing throughout the world.
- Legislation of Cyberlaw: Cybercrime and other fraud will also increase with the high speed and ubiquitous 5G technology. Therefore it is also very important to implement Cyberlaw properly.
When will 5G come to India?
You must be thinking that the 5G mobile will launch? The government has started preparing for the auction of 5G spectrum. The government has asked TRAI to recommend the initial price for auction of 3400 to 3600 MHz bands. TRAI has started working on it. The Department of Telecom can soon bring a policy in this regard. Indeed, experts believe that before the introduction of 5G-like Fast Wireless Technology in India, changes in regulatory conditions for data hosting and cloud services should be brought about.
Future Scope of 5G
A lot of researches and discussions are going on all over the world, ranging from the world’s renowned technologists, researchers, academicians, vendors, operators, and governments to the innovations, implementation, viability, and security concerns between 5G.
As has been said, there are so many so many features that are available in 5G which will provide the best services. But a question that everyone will have in mind, where previous technologies (4G and 3G) still have not been started under process and in many parts; What is the future of 5G?
5th generation technology has been specially designed to allow incredible and remarkable data capabilities, unhindered call volumes, and immeasurable data broadcast through this latest mobile operating system. That’s why it is a more intelligent technology, which will be helpful in interconnecting the whole world. Similarly, our world will get universal and uninterrupted access to information, communication, and entertainment, which will open the door to a new dimension in our lives and will make our lifestyle better and meaningful.
With this, governments and regulators will also be able to use this technology to create good governance and better healthier environments. One thing is clear from this that the right attitude of people in the expansion of 5G will be helpful in making it even better.